Village Players of Hatboro is looking to cast for Paul Rudnick’s theatrical comedy “I Hate Hamlet” scheduled for a run of three weeks in June, 2011.
Sunday, March 13th, 2011 @ 7:00PM
Tuesday, March 15th, 2011 @ 7:30PM
SYNOPSIS OF PLAY:
After coming to New York to play Hamlet, unemployed TV star Andrew Rally soon gets an offer to return to the small screen. TV or not TV? The ghost of John Barrymore appears and why has he returned to this ‘mortal coil?’ To convince our hero to take on the role, of course!
LOOKING TO CAST:
(The ages listed are the approximate ages of the characters.)
- ANDREW RALLY (late 20s/early 30s): A popular TV star whose series has just been cancelled. He has reluctantly moved into John Barrymore’s apartment and agreed to take on the role of Hamlet for a Shakespeare in the Park production, even though he has no interest.
- JOHN BARRYMORE (30s-50s): The ghost of the famous larger-than-life actor whose mission is to convince Andrew to play Hamlet.
- DEIRDRE MCDAVEY (mid 20s/early 30s): Andrew’s naive girlfriend from a privileged background, a hopeless romantic, and the cause of Andrew’s sexual frustration. She is overjoyed that her boyfriend is going to play Hamlet, much more than he is.
- FELICIA DANTINE (30s-50s): Andrew’s real estate broker, who is fascinated with the world of theatre and claims to have a sense of the supernatural. Ability to do a New York accent is a plus, but not required.
- GARY PETER LEFKOWITZ (30s): Hot-shot LA TV writer/producer/director with no true appreciation for theatre, especially Shakespeare. He tries to entice Andrew with the promise of a new starring role in a sitcom.
- LILLIAN TROY (70s): Andrew’s agent, who has had a history with John Barrymore. She is frank with a dry sense of humor. Ability to do a German accent is a plus.
401 Jefferson Ave, Hatboro PA 19040
For directions, visit our directions page.
The auditions will consist of cold readings from the script. No previous experience required. All roles are non-paying. This invitation is not only for actors but also for anyone who would like to volunteer as crew. Perfomance dates are scheduled for June 10, 11, 12, 17, 18, 19, 24, 25 and may contain benefit performances. For any questions, please contact director Jim Balcerek at email@example.com.
If you’d like to be a little extra prepared, you can download, print, and fill out the Audition Form ahead of time – or just take a look at it, if you’re curious. — I HATE HAMLET AUDITION FORM