The Village Players of Hatboro are excited to announce auditions for the first show of its 71st Season, Hound of the Baskervilles, an adaptation of the classic thriller of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, written by Tim Kelly.
Auditions will be held on:
- Sunday, July 9th at 4:30PM
- Monday, July 10th at 7:30PM
Auditions consist of cold readings from the script. First time actors are warmly welcome!
AUDITION APPLICATION OPTIONS:
You may bring a completed audition application by printing one out below, fill out the online audition form, or fill one out when you arrive at the theater (please arrive a little early).
SHOW DATES are October (2017) 6, 7, 8, 13, 14, 15, 20 and 21. There may be up to three additional mid-week benefit performances on the following dates: October 11, 12, 17 and 19 (dates will be finalized by Sept. 1). All actors who are cast MUST be available for all show dates, as well as Tech Week (Sunday, October 1 through Wednesday, October 4).
REHEARSALS will be subject to actor availability. Rehearsals will typically be scheduled for three evenings per week (Sunday and two weeknights). Required attendance will vary depending on the size of the role, but from mid-September onward all actors will be needed for all rehearsals.
(Mystery/Thriller) Holmes’ most spine chilling mystery is filled with suspense, humor and terror. Sir Henry is heir to the vast Baskerville fortune, a legacy that comes with a family curse death at the fangs of a horror that prowls the moor. Only Holmes can stop the beast. While mysterious lights signal Baskerville Hall and the hound terrifies the countryside, the sleuthing begins and suspicion falls on sinister servants, butterfly collectors, ladies in distress and escaped convicts. Who wrote the letter that summoned the hound? Is Sir Henry’s romance with the lovely Kathy doomed? Is the supernatural at work?
Demographic descriptions listed below are suggestions, but are not absolute limitations.
Unless otherwise noted, ability to do English accents would be required for all roles; assistance can be provided during the rehearsal period.
PRINCIPALS (major appearances throughout the show):
- SIR HENRY (M, 20s-30s) – A young nobleman, heir to a fortune and a curse; his accent may have an American tinge to it due to time spent in the States.
- SHERLOCK HOLMES (M, 30s-40s) – A famed private investigator interested in bizarre cases; a master at detection.
- WATSON (M, 30s-40s) – Holmes’ colleague. Capable and supportive, but often in the dark about his colleague’s methods.
SUPPORTING (recurring appearances throughout the show):
- LADY AGATHA (F, 40s-60s) – A medical doctor, ample, scholarly, forceful.
- MRS. BARRYMORE (F, 30s-60s) – The housekeeper; guarded but thoughtful.
- BARRYMORE (M, 30s-60s) – A butler, slightly sinister, but capable.
- PERKINS (F, 18-20s) – A young maid. Attentive but somewhat unsophisticated.
FEATURED (special appearances in select scenes):
- KATHY STAPLETON (F, 20s-30s) – A vivacious young woman. Love interest of Sir Henry.
- LAURA LYONS (F, 20s-30s) – A disgraced but assured young woman with a dangerous secret.
- JACK STAPLETON (M, 20s-30s) – Laura’s brother, given to hobbies and occasional emotional outbursts.
- SELDEN (M) – An escaped convict living in the moors. (Most likely the actor cast as “Jack” would double in this brief, non-speaking role.)
CREW MEMBERS & NEWBIES
Audition nights are a perfect time to come out, meet the director, and express your interest in helping out backstage, be it in the role of a stage manager, lights & sound operator, concessions, or whatever else you might like to do.
They’re also GREAT for first-timers to come out and observe how things are done, maybe express interest in being a helper, or read for a part! We almost always cast at least one person who’s never been on stage before. You never know what can happen!
Questions? Please contact Director Jim Balcerek at firstname.lastname@example.org.